Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Gift Of Life In Autumn

I haven't seen an autumn day as beautiful as this one in years! The color of the leaves are just spectacular. I will admit that I wish the summer could remain, but then again, sometimes we have to embrace change and deal with it because we have no control over it. Sometimes.

But ah, there is always something so special about autumn. Maybe it is the concept of renewal; a new season. Maybe it's just that you know the big holidays are near. Or, maybe it's just that you know the cool crisp romantic winters are will be here soon. Whatever the case, change will happen, some good, some bad and we just have to deal with it.

Before I left for mom's, I thought about packing my camera just to take a few shots of the foilage and put one or two in this post, but then remembered that between visiting her and heading back to take care of a sick wife, (while trying to watch the football game), all of this would be a bit of a feat. There is so much you want to do in life that before you know it, time runs out.

Earlier today, I returned a phone call to an old friend who was a former client. His wife died a few months ago from brain cancer.

I had a chance to meet her before I joined him and his son on a trip to New York last year to see a basketball game at Madison Square Garden. During this brief conversation today, we caught up on a few things and I was happy to hear that he was taking advantage of the handsome CD rates online outfits like GMAC Bank are giving. I was also happy to hear that he was embracing change; that he was trying to get on with his life at 68, retired, now a widower. He admitted that it is difficult, but he is making progress.

I spent time with my wife and a really good friend this weekend and I thought about change. We indulged ourselves with sushi and I thought about how important certain people are to me and wondered what I meant to them, but the important thing is that I always appreciate these moments in time, because I know that like the seasons, things can change very subtletly and at times, rapidly. I also know that no matter what happens, one has to embrace change and find ways to move along...

I am fortunate to have good friends - the few that I have - and a wonderful wife. I wish she were well this weekend, and I do regret that we did not have "loads" of fun because of her illness, but I am equally comforted by the fact that we had a friend who was with us on a wonderful cool autumn weekend of change that reminded me of the grandeur of life. I am also reminded that it is the gift of time and companionship in the midst of change that tends to make autumn so grand.