Sunday, August 27, 2006

Connecting With Friends

I really thought that this weekend would be one of my more relaxing weekends since I am joining a new firm (yeah!) next week and quite frankly, I just wanted to veg out a little.

But when you have a few good friends and a good spouse, you may find your weekend being filled up with activities and a little celebration I guess. So, my "weekend" started Thursday night with a few drinks with one of my buddies. And then Friday, the wife and I met up with an old friend - a true friend - whom I haven't seen in years.

Happy Hour turned into dinner and then after dinner drinks etc. and before too long it was nearing midnight and we were saying goodbye.

I think that when you are at a phase in your life where you are taking an assessment and wondering if those friends of the past will emerge one more time, it can be quite refreshing to find that they do emerge. It is so real and so much fun to experience life in this capacity, to reconnect and to have "one for the road" - again! In this way, I believe we are truly experiencing life.

On a separate note - and I will probably post in more detail about this later - I watched Spike Lee's documentary on hurricane Katrina's New Orleans' victims and the government's botched attempt to help Lousiana managed that awful event.

I think Lee is an accomplished filmmaker. But if you are telling me that many of the residents in New Orleans could not find a way to make some type of arrangement to get out of town well before Katrina hit - before Nagin's notice - then I would say that we are not talking about the same hurricane.