Driving While Being Stupid
My wife tells me that I drive like I need to retake the driving exam. She complains that I drive too slow and at times, react too slowly.
What she doesn't want to acknowledge is that maybe it is the people who are going over the speed limit who are the problem. Or perhaps it's the guy multi-tasking on the freeway.
Today I took a trip to visit my mother which required me to take the expressway. Lately, this route, during the weekdays has construction hours posted, but for some reason, they don't apply to most motorists. The signs read, "40 mph" and my speedometer says 40, but everyone else is passing me and giving me dirty looks. But today I guess it was the norm, 50, which means 65 or whatever your car can handle.
I passed a motorist and quickly moved back over into the right lane. When I turned to the left, I could not believe what I saw! Some guy - no kidding! - was flying down the road with his Blackberry on top of the steering wheel. What could be so damn important on Sunday afternoon that he needed to access his freakin' Blackberry?
I recall reading an article that suggested talking on the cell phone might be as dangerous as driving under the influence as alcohol, but if you are multi-tasking with a Blackberry, then you are really pushing your luck.
I predict that someday in my state, Pennsylvania, there will be a law passed that will make it a felony to use a cell while driving. But before that, I wish they would lower the speed limit to make things safer for 40 year olds like me!
What she doesn't want to acknowledge is that maybe it is the people who are going over the speed limit who are the problem. Or perhaps it's the guy multi-tasking on the freeway.
Today I took a trip to visit my mother which required me to take the expressway. Lately, this route, during the weekdays has construction hours posted, but for some reason, they don't apply to most motorists. The signs read, "40 mph" and my speedometer says 40, but everyone else is passing me and giving me dirty looks. But today I guess it was the norm, 50, which means 65 or whatever your car can handle.
I passed a motorist and quickly moved back over into the right lane. When I turned to the left, I could not believe what I saw! Some guy - no kidding! - was flying down the road with his Blackberry on top of the steering wheel. What could be so damn important on Sunday afternoon that he needed to access his freakin' Blackberry?
I recall reading an article that suggested talking on the cell phone might be as dangerous as driving under the influence as alcohol, but if you are multi-tasking with a Blackberry, then you are really pushing your luck.
I predict that someday in my state, Pennsylvania, there will be a law passed that will make it a felony to use a cell while driving. But before that, I wish they would lower the speed limit to make things safer for 40 year olds like me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home